Introduction: Evolving Approaches to HIV Prevention
- In 2003, the CDC launched a new domestic HIV prevention strategy designed to address rising incidence of HIV and other STDs[CDC 2003a]
- Among other major objectives, the strategy advocated targeting HIV prevention initiatives toward people with HIV infection, a significant change in policy
- Recommendations on secondary HIV prevention were published by the CDC, the HRSA, and the NIH in 2014 (Management Guidelines)[CDC 2014]
- Several interventions have been tested for their efficacy in preventing secondary infection, including those targeted toward specific at-risk populations
Recent Trends in HIV Incidence in the United States
- Estimated number of new HIV infections in the US in 2016 was 39,782, with the overall rate decreasing in recent years[...