- The untreated natural history of HIV infection is associated with a relatively high prevalence of anemia, neutropenia, and thrombocytopenia
- Cytopenias hinder therapy directed at HIV, the opportunistic infections and neoplasms of AIDS, may increase the risk of bacterial infection, and impact quality of life
Anemia in HIV
Epidemiology, Clinical Presentation, and Etiology
- 35% of ART-treated patients in the US have been reported to be anemic[Mildvan 2007]
- Anemia in untreated patients reported to range from 1% to 10% in asymptomatic HIV, 10% to 25% with CD4+ cell count–defined AIDS, and 30% to 60% with AIDS-defining illness[Sullivan 1998]
- Clinical manifestations of anemia vary as hemoglobin levels decrease but are similar to those in HIV-uninfected individuals (Table 1)...