Epidemiology of HIV-Infected Youth in the United States
- More than one fifth of new HIV infections in the United States in 2015 occurred in young people aged 13-24 years[CDC 2016]
- Increasing numbers of YLHA in the United States are surviving into adulthood and transitioning to adult-oriented healthcare services[HRSA 2007]
- YLHA in the United States disproportionately comprise racial minorities, with the greatest impact on black youth (Figure)[CDC HIV Youth]
- Perinatally infected youth form a decreasing proportion of all YLHA in the United States due to the rarity of perinatal transmission
- Perinatally infected youth have complex treatment histories, potentially high rates of drug-resistant virus, and are at risk for various behavioral and neuropsychological issues[...